Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Along the run... Existential Phenomenological Ontology

A point in reclaiming the existstential dilemma at the level of the phenomenology of being. Seemed to have wound up around this point, rather than through it. Cheers Spark Notes! :-)

"To escape its own nothingness, the for-itself strives to absorb the in-itself, or even, in more profane terms, to consume it. Ultimately, however, the in-itself can never be possessed. Just as the for-itself will never realize the union of for-itself and in-itself, neither will it succeed in apprehending or devouring the alien object. Thus, at the summation of Sartre's polemic, an incredible sense of hopelessness dominates the discussion: I am a nothingness, a lack, dehumanized by the other and deceived even by myself. Yet, as Sartre continually emphasizes, I am free, I am transcendent, I am consciousness, and I make the world. 

How to reconcile these two ostensibly unreconcilable descriptions of human ontology is a question Sartre does not attempt to definitively answer. This avoidance of reaching a definitive point of philosophic conclusion is in many ways intentional, however, in keeping with both Sartre's personal style and the existentialist maxim that there are no theories that can make a claim to universality".

No comments: